Sunday, May 27, 2007

Pocket picked...almost


I was the victim of an attempted pickpocket yesterday. It was quite exciting, except that I didn't notice any of it.

On our way from the Royal Palace to the Garden Retiro -- Madrid's public garden -- we crammed into a particularly crowded subway and as we came to one of the station stops, a woman standing in front me started shouting at another woman who was moving down the car and also called out to a security guard standing outside. She then turned and asked me in broken English if I had still I had my wallet. She didn't even bother to check if I spoke Spanish or not. It must have been obvious.

I did have my wallet. But she had watched the pickpocket make the attempt on me. What stopped her from succeeding was a pocket-sized Spanish translation book that was also in my pocket. It was slightly larger and obstructed access to my wallet. She must of grabbed it instead. What's surprising was that the pickpocket was quite cute and well dressed. That would explain why I might be an attractive target...That and the big bulge in my pocket and the look of "stupid American tourist" written all over my face.

No comments: